MT to WordPress

by PapaScott on 16 May 2004

Some notes on importing MT entries into WordPress:

1. The script in the WP RC uses the MT export file, so post numbers are not imported. That might be important if you use the post number in your permalink, like I do.
  2. MT 3.0 seems to have a bug in the export routine… the dates are missing an AM/PM designation, so all posts and comments posted between noon and midnight are off by 12 hours. MT 2.661 exports from an MT 3.0 database just fine, though.
  3. The default encoding of WP is UTF-8, so you either have to convert the MT export file from Latin 1 to UTF-8 (either recode or BBEdit works fine), or change the encoding in WP (under Options->Reading) to ISO 8859-1.
Michel Valdrighi May 17, 2004 at 02:05

1) can be solved with Alex King’s MT-WP redirect template. :)

2) that blows. one solution is to edit MT’s export template to use 24h style time, it should work. (untested)

3) readers: prefer the first solution, converting the export file to UTF8, for the benefits in the long run

PapaScott May 17, 2004 at 17:05

1) I’d like to keep the post numbers permanent, so I’ll probably force them into the database (at least that worked last time I used b2 :-)

2) The MT Support Forum now has a fix

3) Yes, yes! UTF-8 good! UTF-8 good!

PapaScott May 17, 2004 at 19:05

Burningbird has a list of links for people thinking about moving from MT to WP. There Kathy K points to a script and template for maintaining post numbers when importing.

Richard May 17, 2004 at 23:05

Two other gotchas are the extra user the script created in my install of WP. Also, the script does not fill in the GMT field in the wp_posts table, so the RSS and Atom feeds show December 31, 1969 as the date for each entry. These are (or were) both true for 1.2 Beta.

Phil Ringnalda May 17, 2004 at 23:05

Allowing people to import post (and comment) numbers, while difficult and not pretty, is a big thing. Even if you manage to redirect URLs, you aren’t going to be redirecting anchors. A huge percentage of the links to my Blogger relaunch post were actually to Mark’s comment linking to the templates, down around comment number 50 or so. If that comment didn’t have the same number, to produce the same anchor, they get dropped at my silly post, not Mark’s useful comment.

Susan Kitchens June 2, 2004 at 22:06

How about import for the XML that RadioUserland uses (and which you discussed) to export a Manila site? I’m looking to make a Big Move.

chinna September 21, 2006 at 10:12

yes utf-8 good thank u.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: